Friday, April 17, 2015

Critical Reflection



Time passes so quickly. This will be the last week of ES1102 lesson I will be having. I could still remember how reluctant I am to have this module in the beginning of the semester. I am really glad that I have completed this module. I have learned valuable English knowledge from it and it will definitely be helpful in my other modules in the future.

Peer and Tutor feedback allowed for two way communication, where everyone in the class can learn from one another by giving and receiving feedback. I feel that feedback is important for students to know how well they are doing as they learn. By giving the knowledge that they are doing well gives students a sense of achievement which motivates them to learn more.
For tutor feedback, every reflection and assignment submitted, we will be given feedback by our tutor, Mr Brad Blackstone. I feel that these feedback are very effective for me. I can learn from my mistakes and take corrective measures to improve on it in the future. In particular, I feel that the one to one feedback with Mr Brad for problem solution essay was the most useful feedback for me. Other than letting me know where my mistake it, he provided me constructive feedback that guide me to write better essay for my next draft. He also motivated me to continue put in more effort for my essay writing. As a result, the grade of my final essay have improved significantly as compared to my previous draft.  

While for peer feedback, it gives me an opportunity to read a variety of essays and exposes me to the different perspectives and writing styles. However, I feel that it is not as effective as tutor feedback. Peer feedback is vague, not as clear as the tutor feedback. I think the main reason is because we do not have the knowledge on how to evaluate writing. In addition, since we are classmates and friends, we may feel uneasy to give our peers honest comments. I feel that peer feedback can be further improve in giving “honest” yet respectful comments, this will be more constructive. 



After attending this module, I feel that my English writing skills have improved significantly. The tutor feedback on my problem solution essay was especially useful as it will help me write better thesis statement and essays in the future. I will keep all my essay feedback as a reference. Whenever I have time, I will read it to recall the mistake I made. This will serve as a reminder not to make such careless mistakes again. This is a really memorable experience and I am honoured to be part of this learning journey with E07.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Cheng Hwok, for this detailed reflection. You contextualize your study in ES1102 well, then you give a good overview of the way giving and receiving feedback has played a part in your learning process in the course. I especially appreciate your comment that doing the peer feedback "...gives me an opportunity to read a variety of essays and exposes me to the different perspectives and writing styles." Knowing how other writers address the same topic is certainly a key means in developing one's writing skills.

    At the same time, if I could learn more from you, I would want to know exactly what areas of the feedback evaluative process you might be able to implement as you continue writing in English in the future.

    In any case, I thank you for your hard work this term and I wish you all the best as you continue your learning journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sir. I am really honored and happy to have your as my tutor for this English module. I love your interactive and humorous teaching method. Your constructive yet positive comments have benefited me a lot. I hope the best for your future career in SIT. I will definitely miss you a lot. :)

      Delete